Forum home The potting shed

on bed rest!

Following surgery on my neck earlier in the week I am now faced with several weeks inactivity. The husband is keeping my flower and fruit garden ticking over and before the op I worked hard to get tbe garden ship shape with annual and perenial pots positioned outside the patio doors. Are threre any keen gardeners out there who have survived a similar enforced rest and have found ways of passing the time?

• AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 3,730

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

How about making a glossary of all your plants - either lists, spreadsheets, photographs or a drawn 'map'??

I'm sure others will have great ideas...

My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,455

I am in much the same position, no gardening as such for me for a few weeks. At least I can, am supposed to, walk about. Frustrating to stagger round the garden and not be able to actually do anything though.

Not sure what to suggest to do . Sympathy.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,279

I had neck surgery 5 years ago - cage to support 3 vertebrae with knackered discs that had been pinching lots of nerves.   I wasn't confined to barracks but was told to be careful and take it easy for a few weeks - not easy when suddenly free of excruciating pain and feeling very sprightly as a result!  

I completed some old embroidery projects, cuddled cat and dog, read loads of books,researched plants for the garden, made shopping lists for OH, and found new recipes for dinner.  I was president of a dance club so did loads of admin on the PC working out time-tables for all the hall hires and classes and teacher contracts for the new season and posters for publicity.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

One idea for this week... watch all the Chelsea Flower Show programmes! 

• rubberrubber Posts: 80

Thanks for you suggestions. I have survived the first week and chelsea is keeping me interested this wee though i got a bit annoyed at the best in show garden. Perhaps i am missing something but i thought they were supposed to be show gardens not someones slant on an old quarry in malta!  I felt so sorry for chris beardshaw he was obviously disappointed. Anyway i have voted for his garden in the viewers favourite catagory. I hope he wins.

Your views on the Best In Show are shared with many, I think.

Next week is Spring Watch - so if you like nature programmes you have something to follow - plus they usually have 'live cams' to view day and night. 

Hope you are healing well and feeling comfortable. 

• Logan4Logan4 West MidlandsPosts: 2,305

Hi Rubber, 5 weeks ago i fractured my knee. Got full leg plaster. Stuck down stairs and can't do much. Got another week to go. I watched a lot of TV,