Forum home Wildlife gardening

Queen bees

Hello everyone.

Over the last two weeks I have found queen bees wanting to stay in my conservatory, I've also found quite a few queen bees dead on the patio or walking along the ground, I've picked them up and put them on some flowers but they've died.

I don't use any chemicals in my garden, I'm bothered about the number of queen that I've found dead or near too it.

Anyone know what's going on, I can't find anything on the net/webb about it other than back in 2015, there was a problem with honey bees that died off.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391

They might just be bumble bee workers which don't live very long.  Queens don't tend to leave the nest once they have laid eggs.  Have a look at this link:

https://bumblebeeconservation.org/about-bees/faqs/finding-dead-bees/

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • CarrotolineCarrotoline Posts: 11

Hello Bob... love your title by the way...?

Thank you for your reply, just read up on the link you gave. I'm very surprised at know these are worker bees, they are so big that why I though they were queens.

I have this afternoon just found a few bees disappearing into a little hole where my pond is so I assume that's where the nest is. I can understand why I'm seeing more bees around my garden which is all good​ to know their happy in my home but still a little sad to see the "workers" die. Thank you for that Bob.

Great to know you still have plenty of bees and have found a nest! image  I have quite a few bird boxes and was delighted to find one of them had been chosen as a bumble bee nest a year or two ago.

Even better to know that you don't use any chemicals in the garden like the majority of other folk here. image

Since I stopped using insecticides several years ago the amount of wildlife has increased tremendously and I now often see several kinds of birds devouring aphids from my clematis, roses and other plants which helps keep them in check.  Nature has achieved balance all by itself! image

• FifsFifs Posts: 45

Just noticed this thread and wondered if anyone has any advice.  We think we have a bees nest in the corner of one of our raised veg beds. Lots of bee activity there in last few days. I'm happy to have these bees in our garden but just bit concerned at how big the nest might get and don't want to disturb them too much. How long are they likely to stay?  

The nests of mining bees are quite small.   See if you can identify the species to gain more information:

http://www.gardensafari.net/english/mining_bees.htm

• FifsFifs Posts: 45

Thanks Bob! Look like bumble bees so I guess we're very lucky to have them ? don't mind sacrificing a few parsnip seedlings for them! 

• CarrotolineCarrotoline Posts: 11

Good question there Fifs, I've been watching them fly back and forth the nest in my garden, they are very busy bees and don't stop. I was wondering about the size of the nest, seems our Bob had the answer again. Lets hope others will notice them around their gardens and will leave them be.

If your there Bob please put me down as you number one fan ?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,060

Or 'leave them bee' Carrotoline...image

There are so many differnt types of bee - we're very lucky to have so many in this country and it's great that people are learning more about them. Many bees don't look like our typical 'view' of a bee either. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....