Forum home Tools and techniques

Mulches

Hi.

After lots of reading around I had come to the conclusion that I would be able to use wood chippings straight from the garden/ wood yard as a mulch for around the garden. But now a garden professional has told me that you can't put wood or bark straight down without it being composted first?

Can anyone clarify for me please? 

Thankyou from a novice doing her best ????

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,566

I use it straight away. No harm yet, 25 years. Don't use anything that's been treated with preservative though.

• Fab, thanks! 

• LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,639

At college we were told that the decomposition of fresh wood chippings could actually deplete the nitrogen in the soil. Not sure how big of a deal it is if you avoid mixing it into the soil. Presumably not a big one since the whole point of a mulch is it sits on top of the soil, not under it! :)

But that's where your garden professional has probably got his idea from. 

Last edited: 18 May 2017 22:35:01

• Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 6,713

I use fairly fresh wood chip too, and have had no problems with it.  In fact I find it helpful to not only deter weeds but also slugs due to the roughness of the chips.  I am sure gravel has the same effect but it is much more expensive and to my mind looks less attractive on a flower bed.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,413

I've found absolutely no evidence that fresh woodchip ,when used as a mulch, depletes nitrogen from the soil. The air we  breath is 78% nitrogen, it's readily available as part of the decomposition process. 

Fresh chip dug into soil: I've seen evidence that it does, and that it doesn't. In short, inconclusive.

Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,444

I visit both Nutcutlet's and Hostafan's gardens fairly regularly - both beautiful and full of healthy plants - I would have no hesitation in following their examples. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

You'll make me blush Dove. image

Devon.

I think it's one of these things that's said so often, without proper scientific evidence , it just sort of becomes accepted as fact.

I've yet to be convinced that double digging is any better than single digging. I know all the theory of how it's supposed to be better, but have never found any " double blind" evidence to support it.

Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,444

I find that with gardening as in so much of life there are no hard and fast rules ... context is everything. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

and, like politics, if the same untruth is repeated often enough , it becomes accepted as fact.

Devon.