Forum home The potting shed

multipurpose compost/grow bags

Hi, 

Please can somebody tell me if a growbag is the same as multipurpose compost as I am growing plug plants and seeds together in same planter I was planning on using multipurpose and put tomatoes at the back next to runner beans. Is that wise or would it be better to buy a growbag specifically for tomatoes? Also I was thinking about buying "coir growing brick compost" instead of both of the ones I have mentioned. Has anyone got a perfect short and sweet answer as I really should be planting up by now and I am annoying myself looking at reviews all the time, I feel like a dog chasing my tail!!

Kind Regards

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,209

One growbag will do for 3 tomatoes.  I wouldn't mix them with beans.  If you can, watch last week's Beechgrove Garden in i-player as there is a fairly detailed item about growbags and the best ways to grow tomatoes.  The conclusion is use grow bag compost but in pots or with specially adapted pots on top of grow bags and with extra compost.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • flowerbomb2flowerbomb2 Posts: 54

Thanks Obelixx,

That is helpful info and I will see if I get get the program on catch up if not my iphone. I don't  understand when I hear about pots on grow bags. How does that work?

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,992

The pots sit on top of the growbags and give the plants more room to grow. But nothing wrong with just planting them singly into big pots using growbag compost or putting 3 plants straight into a grow bag.  Just choose a way to do it this year - next year you might try something different. You will still get tomatoes whatever way you go. 

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • BLTBLT Posts: 525

I got some bigger more expensive grow bags by Verve this year. I am using them to fill large pots and one Tomato plant to each one Cue to each etc, working great. I saw the Beechgrove idea  but never tried it out..

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,209

Flowerbom - watch the programme and all will be revealed.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • flowerbomb2flowerbomb2 Posts: 54

Thanks all, much appreciated as always. I am just about to watch program Obelixx so hopefully it will do the trick and fill in the blanks- will let you know!! image