Forum home Problem solving

Please help ID this weed?

Hi, would anyone be able to help me ID this weed please?

We have moved to a new house with big garden and this plant has appeared everywhere at huge speed - from bedding, to the shingle drive, every nook and cranny!

Thank you

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150

It's willowherb.  Pull it all up before it flowers and sets even more seeds.  

An easy one to pull with a strong tug, you just have to be vigilant in spotting them when they're small.

• lisrlisr Posts: 6

Thank you so much for such a helpful speedy response - very much appreciated! 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,424

It's one of the willowherbs - Epilobium - there are various types ... those tall pinky flowers that colonize river banks, railway sidings and used to crop up on bomb sites etc ... hence the another name ... Fireweed.

The fluffy seeds drift around in the wind and they root wherever they land ... they're pretty easy to recognise and pull up ... just keep doing it and don't let them flower and seed ... you'll soon get on top of them, but stay alert each spring for new seedlings. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,424

Snap!  Kitty image  You beat me to it ............ I stopped for a coffee halfway through image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Great advice, thank you!

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150

Dove image. Mine was a bit basic.  PULL IT UP!  Your post had all the extra info in it.

Good luck lisr.  It's one that pops up every year here, a bit like the dandelions.  I hate windborne weed seeds image.  Keep pulling ?

??