Forum home Problem solving

Mares tail!!

Hi There,

Just after a bit of advise really.

i have circa 25m² pebbled area in my garden which is becoming covered in marestail!! this stuff just seems to keep on growing. I have had it sprayed twice now with kurtail and the weeds turned black and looked asif they we're dying, now more green ones have started growing around the dead ones!!

I was told to membrane over the old pebbles / dead weeds and lay new pebbles on top, are the maretails just going to grow straight through the new stuff?

These weeds are driving me crazy i need rid of them, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,177
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • KT53KT53 GloucestershirePosts: 7,520

A strong membrane will certainly reduce the amount you get but once they establish they are an absolute ****** to get rid of.  I sprayed one area repeatedly through one summer with Roundup at the max recommended strength and it did get rid of them for a couple of years.  They have started to reappear, but not as bad as they were.

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 5,821

Look at thread Help from Marina 1 other advice there- same subject.

AB Still learning

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,053

I would not put membrane over the old pebbles. Rake them up first and then put membrane down and then your pebbles. Spray, spray and spray again is the only solution to marestail. You may not get rid of it all but it should become manageable. 

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,053

PS. Make sure there are no roots in the old pebbles!

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Hogweed : I am not reusing the old pebbles, i am getting new ones. so i was told to just leave the old ones in place (saves on getting a skip and time removing) then membrane over them and lay new pebbles on top of new membrane  

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,273

depends how much you value your time removing them, versus the cost of buying new.

Your garden, your money, your choice.

Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,102

Horsetail grows through tarmac ... don't think membrane and pebbles will stop it. image

I once read something somewhere about increasing the alkalinity of the soil by adding lime weakened the horsetail growth ... no idea if it works but thought it's worth mentioning image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,102
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Dave HedgehogDave Hedgehog Posts: 377

That's a seriously informative read. Thanks VERY much, Dove!!

With the spaces I'm faced with, increasing the alkalinity and drainage is sometimes easier said than done but will try it on the allotment (except where the blueberrries are) and a weedkiller approach where it's punched its way through patios. 

It seems those horrendous black rhizomes are incredibly content with the permanently damp conditions found under patio areas and the mischief they get upto is astounding. If Japanese Knotweeddidn't exist, this must surely be the worst possible garden weed in the UK!!!