Forum home Plants

Lavatera seedling

wakeshinewakeshine Posts: 964

A lavatera we had for around six years died this year. Not sure why. I did read somewhere that the lifespan is around six years! It was very big and used to flower beautifully.

When we dug it out yesterday we saw a white sticky fungus or mould type thing all over the very deep roots.

We noticed it it has self-seeded in the area and the seedling is quite big, around 30cm high. Should I leave it there as it seems happy, or should I dig it out and raise it in a pot? Could this white stuff potentially affect the seedling?

• yarrow2yarrow2 Posts: 735

wakeshine:  I've been trying to dig out a lavatera this week from our tiny front garden - it was bang on six years old and was a lovely delicate little thing when planted.  I had no idea they grew quite so large.

Last year it was really struggling, covered in aphids for the first time - and the flowers (such a beautiful pinky mauve) just drooped and the leaves just wilted.  The soil in this tiny front bit had always been poor - builder's leftovers - and I was shocked at how quickly it grew to become more tree-like - and the roots got themselves under the wall.

It was a fight to dig down and get around the roots - I had enough for the day and left it in disgust - more at myself than the blasted lavatera.   Should have read more about their growth and growth rate in the first place!

Sorry to hi-jack your query about the white sticky fungus, which I have no clue about.  BUT - I'd be interested to see what your seedling looks like as I have more to clear away and suspect I may have one as well.  Didn't take a photo of the suspect as I'll have to clear a fair bit more to get to it.image

The large twisted root bit on mine in this photo may have been part of the problem - whether I was careless when originally planting it or the roots twist around like this I have no clue.  It just looks a monster.  Lesson learned for me though.  No more lavatera - beautiful as they are in bloom.  I'm leaving it for another day to try and get it totally out of the ground.

Last edited: 14 May 2017 22:55:49

• wakeshinewakeshine Posts: 964

Thanks for your reply. I'll try and take a photo of the seedling and post it for you.

Yes they do get really big, we didn't realise either. Thing is we do want it to get big and fill a space up.

hello Yarrow 2 sorry for the late reply to this but I have just taken a photo of the seedling:image

I don't know whether to remove it or leave it:

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,991

I think it is too close to the grass and it will eventually overhang the grass by quite a bit. I would either move it now to where it has more space and keep it well watered or wait until the autumn. 

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller

Thanks for the reply Hogweed. Much appreciated. If I get time this summer I will move it, otherwise I will leave it until after Autumn.