Help with a border

2»

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,626

Looks good Tom, and sorry to rain on your parade a bit but, what are you going to do round the base of the structure? It's a good bit higher then the grass level. 

Maybe another little surround of timber and gravel infill to make a shallow step up? Or plant up with thymes or low growing alpines ? They'd hide the base but also give additional colour and scent and would appreciate the sharp drainage. Dianthus would be great. 

You've put a lot of hard graft in there. Hope you got a treat in return  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• TomCranhamTomCranham Posts: 139

BobFlannigon we build the beds around the stumps (it was a nightmare digging out roots for concrete footings ...) and then first filled with lots of well rotted compost, then topped up with topsoil!

Fairygirl, yeah we ran out of time and topsoil/compost too. So that's the next job. And yes i'm thinking thymes and maybe some more stipa tenuissima :)

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,181

Fantastic achievement, would have taken me months and would have looked terrible.

Like the idea of the Stipa too, should hide the gap nicely.

Woke up again
    To my chagrin
    Getting sick and tired of
    Feeling sick and tired again
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,895

Good job Tom.  Well done.  Plans for the base sound good too.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,872

That's a lovely job Tom , your Grandmother looks very pleased!

Brilliant Tom. It'll be terrific when you get the other part done. image

Give your aches and pains time to disappear first image

• that looks really good, you must be pleased!

• TomCranhamTomCranham Posts: 139

Thanks everyone, yes i'm really pleased! Just about recovered now Fairygirl haha

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,222

That's great Tom ... no wonder your grandma and her lovely dog look pleased image  and it's so nice that the seat is of a good depth ... so often such seats are far too narrow for traditionally built btms to sit comfortably and are little more than a perch.  Yours actually has room for a nice comfy cushion ... brilliant! image

Last edited: 29 July 2017 10:35:44

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

TomCranham says:

Thanks everyone, yes i'm really pleased! Just about recovered now Fairygirl haha

See original post