Forum home Plants

Spanish bluebells, or not?

soulboysoulboy Posts: 429

Do you agree this is a Spanish bluebell? It's appeared in my back garden and from the descriptions I've found; pale blue flowers, flowers growing direct from the stem, and broad leaves, it sounds and looks very much like Spanish bluebell.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 33,857

Yes soulboy, you are correct. They are thuggish when they get going but still pretty image

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 3,705

Agree Spanish bluebell.

Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • soulboysoulboy Posts: 429

Thanks for the confirmations. I will be pulling these tomorrow if there's a break in the rain. Pretty though they are I have native bluebells in the garden and don't want to risk any hybridisation, or spread of the plant to other parts of the area.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,131

YOU COULD LEAVE THE FLOWERS AND ENJOY THEM BUT PULL THEM OFF BEFORE THE SEEDS SET.

I DO THAT WITH DANDELIONS AND STUFF. THE BEES GET A DRINK AND I CAN LOOK AT THE COLOURS WITHOUT RISK OF ENCROACHMENT BY THE UNDESIRABLES.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 6,713

We have Spanish bluebells too soulboy and they are a devil to dig out - and the bulbs proliferate so easily too.  We thought we had dug them all from our driveway about 3 years ago, but now find them springing up again.  The leaves of the bluebells come out easily enough, but the bulbs are a different matter.

GOOD LUCK!