Frogs Frogs Frogs

2»

• debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 1,925

Not all cats are killers but yes it is in their nature it's just a dilemma trying to help wildlife when you have kittycats. I use a water spray to deter mine from chasing stuff but it's time consuming and doesn't always work. Well done for trying to help Liz, I do think keep cat indoors at night if you possibly can. Best of luck! 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,004

and reported again

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• The_herpetologistThe_herpetologist West YorksPosts: 433

I would create a log pile. Frogs love log piles as they attract the kind of insects frogs like and tend to be damp and shady. More importantly. the log pile will give your frogs somewhere to hide from your cat.

• liz210284liz210284 Posts: 8

Thanks everyone. It does seem tho there is no solution. We have no idea where the frogs come from but our gardens are so damp I guess thsts why they come back. He's bringing them in both during day and night. We will be locking him in at night especially after today's incident where one casually jumps past me on carpet whilst my baby was playing on floor! He's not killing them so I don't know they are here. 

During day tho I guess I just have to deal. 

If I build a log pile or something for them will thst not encourage more to the garden? 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,667

If the garden is damp and shady it will have frogs ...... as has been said, give them somewhere to lurk where the cat can't get at them and at least they have a chance .... I think it's your best option, coupled with keeping the cat in at night.

It's not good for cats to be out at night anyway ...... it's when most accidents happen, not to mention fights with foxes and other cats.

https://www.pets4homes.co.uk/pet-advice/cats-in-or-out.html 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• B3B3 Posts: 10,537

You could try making the flap open outwards only. He would learn to flip it up to get under it and into the house. A bit difficult to hold onto a frog while he's negotiating the flap.

We did this when neighbours cats kept coming into our house.

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • GaryRGaryR Posts: 32

A combination of the suggestions above should reduce the number of frogs brought in.

A bit of a project but you could turn the dampest part of your garden into a frog refuge with a large log pile as The Helpful Herp mentioned and grow low large leaved plants they can hide under. It wont help then indefinitely but should bring down the number down.

My next-door neighbour has a flap that opens one way and the cats seem quite happy to sit in the garden or at the door and wait until she calls them inside in the evening.

• liz210284liz210284 Posts: 8

Thanks everyone. Our garden is bare....no shaded areas but the whole back of garden retains all water and has flooded in recent years with rainfall. Nothing grows well apart from the laurel that was there when we moved in. I will try a log pile somewhere at the back to see if that gives them a chance....I'd love to see where they "hang out" as such so I could work it more to their advantage.  You've all been very helpful thank you 

• lb191lb191 Posts: 80

I'm not a cat person to be honest but if it was a dog doing it then I'd do some negative association training.

Get a dead frog and stick it somewhere and every time the cat goes near it I'd shock it somehow - water spray, hiss, etc.

Maybe coat it in something disgusting tasting.

You'd have to dedicate some time to it and supervise. You can't just leave the frog around afterwards because the cat would go near without consequence.