Using pesticide on shrubs/plants for bees

Hi,

I bought these shrubs for the Bees and Butterflies but find they are both effected annually by pests. Caropteris gets a pest which deforms growth tip and new buds. Buddleia gets a caterpillar nesting in it's growth tips too. Deforming leaves. :(

I end up with a sick plant 

Last edited: 13 May 2017 11:34:30

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 6,986

The simple answer is no you can't.

The caterpillars that you are going to kill, will become the butterflies you are trying to encourage.

You wouldn't know a diamond if you held it in your hand
    The things you think are precious, i don't understand
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,228

Just nip out the affected leaves. If it's greenfly, just wipe them off or spray with water. A healthy plant will shrug off most pests quite easily. Buddleias are very tough - you can prune off those ends (after the caterpillar has gone) or remove distorted leaves and it'll grow plenty more. Mine are like that just now. It will still be covered in flowers later in the year   image

Encourage some wildlife into the garden too. That means you don't have to resort to chemicals which kill all the beneficial insects and predators as well as the pests.

Last edited: 13 May 2017 11:40:41

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• motorman1motorman1 Posts: 42

I think it means the shrubs suffer so bad that they cannot produce flowers. If I keep taking the buds off then there'll be no flowers or growth. The Buddleia is Buddleia weyeriana and this one seems to get it quite bad. The Caryopteris is a bit of nightmare too. I gave up on it at my parents and now at mine. :/ 

• motorman1motorman1 Posts: 42

Yes, if plants get hit by slugs then I keep them for a while using the Iron type pellets then I put something else in which is hopefully unaffected.

These two specimens are not too great to be honest. Normal Buddleia gets this issue with caterpillars but less so. Off to the compost heap for these two. The two plants are fantastic and I think the Buddleia weyeriana is longer flowerig (I think) and maybe the best for insects. Shame it gets attacked. :/ 

As I thought, the bin for these two. :(

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,265

try blasting the bugs with a hose nozzle set on jet.

Devon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,228

If shrubs/plants are very crowded it makes them weaker, and therefore more vulnerable too. Is that the case with these? Strong, healthy plants in general, can shrug off pests more easily. Correct pruning also helps.

The best defence against pests is to attract plenty of birds into the garden - along  with the jet of  water approach, as Hosta says.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....