Forum home Tools and techniques

Do these need repotting?

Not really adept at growing seedlings. Will these need pricking out soon. Theres currently 2 in each pot - will they all need seperate pots? image

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,162

If they are pepper plants, they need a pot each. I would put them into 5 or  6 inch pots to grow on.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 12,003

Are the roots, showing out of the bottom of the pot?

If they are, then re-pot.

Consequences, altered cases
    Broken noses, altered faces
    My ego altered, altered egos
    Wherever I go, so does me go
  • Yea they're pepper plants. Thanks will do :) 

• Andy LeedsAndy Leeds Posts: 518

Interesting... I'm also growing peppers and was following guidance to leave two seedlings in each pot to spend their lives together (I sowed three and cut out the weakest in each pot).

I was going to repot rather than prick out, I guess I'll learn the hard way if this approach doesn't work ?.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,162

Andy, I've never understood that approach. Often they say put two seeds in a pot and then pull the weakest or cut it off. This either disturbs the remaining plant , or leaves roots to rot along with the growing plant. It also wastes a lot of seeds if they are expensive. Some cucumber seeds are now over a quid each. There is no way I would put two in a pot then discard one. I sow large seeds singly into 7cm pots. If any don't grow, then only a pot of compost is wasted.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Andy LeedsAndy Leeds Posts: 518

Absolutely agree with cucumbers, they are ridiculously expensive!

I guess pepper seeds are cheap for the number you get, so a risk worth taking (maybe, not done it before so I may be crying when they keel over ?).

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 22,377

I've never grown cucumber but if a seed costs £1 and a cucumber costs about 50-75p , why grow them? Is the taste so much better?

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,337

Well, you do tend to get more than 2 from a plant, B3! image

Well, unless you really like them in which case you get none and/or the plants snuff it!  I hate them so get overrun of course (but it keeps OH and friends/family happy who get them for free.)

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.