Is it safe to plant out runner beans started in the greenhouse?

TootlesTootles Posts: 1,470

Morning

my runner beans have had a growth spurt in their little pots in the greenhouse. Has anyone planted theirs out yet? Thinking of doing it today but not sure if I should wait a while. 

Also, same with bedding plants. Too early?

thanks!

• bookmonsterbookmonster Posts: 199

when's your last frost, and have they been hardened off?

• LynLyn Posts: 8,418

I've only just sowed mine, will plant out after May, probably second week in June. 

I am planting out some perennials  today, annual bedding will go out at the end of the month unless we have another cold spell. So for me, too early. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
  • TootlesTootles Posts: 1,470

In the East Midlands. We did have a frost here this week, we are in a rural spot so a bit exposed. 

Will probs leave it for a couple of weeks then, and harden them off in the cold frame.

thanks!

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 11,273

No Tootles. I will not plant mine out until the next bank holiday. End of May is early enough. Cold nights are common here until 1st June. (Sandiacre)

Put them out in the day and bring them in every night. You do not want them to get too lanky and weak.

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
  • TootlesTootles Posts: 1,470

Thanks.

sandiacre - not far at all! I'm Long Bennington, between Grantham and Newark. 

I'll tuck them back up inside the greenhouse at night then.

thanks again 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,792
    Lyn says:

I've only just sowed mine, will plant out after May, probably second week in June. 

Same here image

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener LeicsPosts: 6,503

I've hedged my bets and started 20 off 2 weeks ago which will go out tomorrow and be protected best I can through any cold spells.  The other 20 were sown today and will go out in about 2 to 3 weeks.  If they all do ok, I'll just pick the beans when they are smaller and tastier!  image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.