Forum home The potting shed

Bees

I have noticed that in the last week bees are coming and going through a grill under the eaves that allows an air flow in the loft.  I have been up in the loft to see if I could see what they are doing and nothing is visible.  Are they treating our loft as a 'hive'?  I do not want to disturb them and am happy to let them do their own thing, but I am just curious. Has anyone else experienced 'bees in the loft'?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

We have Tree Bumblebees over the dormer window of our bedroom

Can you see what sort you have? 

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,454

We had a 'hive' between the roof tiles and the ceiling in the bedroom (one of those houses with no loft space). They drove us mad with their humming (Wish they would learn the words) When it got hot they cooled themselves down by flapping their wings. Sounded awful. If one banged on the ceiling they went mad and buzzed even louder. At the end of the Summer they all disappeared/died and we managed to get some undisturbed sleep. They do not nest in the same place twice fortunately.

oh yes they do nest in the same place twice image

Not the same bees though, except maybe the queen.

Honeybees are a longer term project, there were enormous honeycombs in the roof when we arrived here. They had to move on when we re-roofed.

• ForestedgeForestedge Posts: 3,650

Nutcutlet - There are two sizes of bees, but I don't know what 'sort' they are  Will we have honey in the roof space then?

• Logan4Logan4 West MidlandsPosts: 2,305

I wouldn't keep them up there. They can get very aggressive if disturbed. If you got pets, children and elderly,or if someone is allergic to bees. Should get a bee keeper to have a look.

Dunno Forest edge, need to ID the bees.

Bees only sting if provoked, mostly they die if they do. Who's going to provoke them?

Beekeepers are only interested in honeybees

they are part of life in the natural world, nothing to get alarmed about or start killing

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,454

Ours were definitely not honeybees so no honeycombs in the roof space. In any case we would need to remove the roof tiles to see and they were too delicate to go messing with. They were there all Summer, going in and out and doing their thing and no-one got stung or even bothered by them.

Good year for fruit though!

Last edited: 12 May 2017 20:51:24

• iceice Posts: 327

We had bumbles under the slabs in the garage. Generally didn't bother us, occasionally got in the house.  They moved out/died off at end of summer

• ForestedgeForestedge Posts: 3,650

The bees are safe in our loft space as I would not disturb them or allow anyone else to touch them.  I must remember not to open the window that is directly under the grill in case they drift into the bedroom.  I think they may be bumbles as they are chunky and not the 'slim' type.  They are creating entertainment for our cats as they are sitting quietly watching the activity. 

I expected ours to come into the bedroom and was surprised when they didn't.

Yours could be tree bumblebees as well Forestedge