Forum home Problem solving

Poorly Hebe?

We have various hebes in our garden that I'm guessing have been there for years. In the 4 years we've lived here (Essex) they've looked healthy and produced lovely flowers.  Since the very dry last summer though they all look distinctly 'under par'.  Will they bounce back? Is there anything we can do to help them along or is it time to think about replacing them? Hope we don't have to as they provide privacy in our back garden. Any thoughts / advice would be appreciated ????

• FifsFifs Posts: 45

• Dave HedgehogDave Hedgehog Posts: 377

Is the overgrown/tall section at the rear also part of the Hebe?

If so, it could be reaching for the skies and the thin/exposed branches may have been damaged by recent frosts. As the Spring has been so dry, it could be suffering from lack of water.

I'd cut the straggly top stems off andg ive it a good watering at night for a few days to see if it picks it up a bit. Also, prune off any dead branches i.e. those with no leaves or buds as these can spread disease to other part of the shrub.

• FifsFifs Posts: 45

Thanks for your reply Dave.  I think you're probably right about the lack of water - it's looked ropey since last summer so will try some additional watering to see if that helps.  Maybe we should have pruned it properly a few years ago!! Will see if we can prune off some of the dead stuff as you suggest - guess it may well look worse before it looks better ? Thanks for your advice!