Forum home Wildlife gardening

Butterfly and bee conservation

An introduction.

I am the founder of the Camden Butterfly Trust. Our aim is to halt, if not reverse the decline in Camden's wildlife, especially butterflies and bees. We intend doing this by establishing a network of wildlife-friendly butterfly conservation gardens throughout the London borough of Camden. These gardens, no further than a mile from each other, will become breeding colonies for the 22 species of butterflies that inhabit Camden. This will enable them to interact with each other, build up their numbers and increase their gene pool.

• James234James234 Posts: 2

There is a strong possibility that we can create our first garden here on the housing estate where I live.

All the beds here have not been treated for decades. As a result the soil is organically dead and will have to be replaced.

So I am asking advice on the ratio of topsoil to compost; leaf mould and horticultural grit.

Last edited: 10 May 2017 09:38:29

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,877

My feeling is that it's irrelevant. There are plants suitable for every type of soil, choose those suitable for what you've got. Gardening for wildlife is more about leaving things alone that making huge changes. 

I'm sure you've considered this but many people are planting flowers for insects but not food plants for the larvae. Most of them are native plants, and 'weeds' in the eyes of many gardeners

Good luck, I hope it goes well