Forum home Wildlife gardening

Shallow dishes of Water

Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

Folks, as it's been so dry many rescues are having severely dehydrated animals in. Please remember to leave dishes of fresh water down for bees, birds, hedgehogs & all the other animals in need. image

• FifsFifs Posts: 45

Put some out yesterday; the birds have been lapping it up ?

• AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,994

We put a dish of water out every night for the hedgehogs,and I've noticed (on our camera), that they have been drinking from it more than usual.Even if people don't want to put food out for whatever reason, a small dish of water could be a lifesaver image

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

My thoughts exactly Anni, good job done image remember the ground dishes for the hedgehogs, foxes etc.

Last edited: 09 May 2017 19:35:32

• Ado AnnieAdo Annie Posts: 20

I have the raised pond that the pigeons, magpies and blackbirds use, a ceramic birdbath with a few largish stones in that the tits, dunnocks and robins like then a small pyrex dish filled with pea shingle for the bees etc. I will often sprinkle the foliage around the little rock piles that I've built to keep the areas cool and I'm thinking of putting a small bog garden in an area that gets waterlogged for most of the year - hopefully I've got most wildlife covered.

• AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,994

I timed the hog drinking time last night, it was just over 1 minute, then he came back and drank for another minute, which is unusual. Just shows how dry it has been.

Caught our young male fox on camera drinking & 'marking his territory' image

• Dave HumbyDave Humby HampshirePosts: 1,142

We are just in the midst of our first rainfall of any note in weeks. It's pooring down and as I look out the window the two 'resident' pigeons are stood on the fence with wings spread having, what seems, an enjoyable wash! 

• yarrow2yarrow2 Posts: 782

When I got the gardening bug a few years ago, I went overboard buying things I ended up never using. I use these plant pot saucers (or whatever you call them) as the big birds dominate the bird bath and water thingy - so the little birds love these which I place away from the ones the large birds use.

I fill half a dozen assorted buckets every evening with tap water and leave them sitting around for a couple of days before using the water in watering cans.  All of the birds this last hot few days are drinking and sticking their heads under the water to get cool.  It's great fun to watch.

• jaffacakesjaffacakes IrelandPosts: 424

That's a lovely photo Yarrow

Gorgeous. We had rain last night too, thank the heavens! image