Forum home Wildlife gardening

How to help frogs / toads

We don't have a pond and don't want one for various reasons. However we regularly find frogs/toads in the garden and want to encourage them.

We don't use slug pellets or pesticides on the whole so don't think we're doing anything to annoy the frogs and toads but would like to give them a bit of help if we can.

Any suggestions for what we can do?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,286

It sounds as if you're doing well already, but you could leave some damp shady corners with low growing plants for them to lurk undisturbed and maybe create a woodpile of logs http://www.wildaboutgardens.org.uk/habitats/log-pile.aspx 

Last edited: 07 May 2017 19:37:29

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,448

I assume you may not want a pond for safety reasons,small children etc?

A pond could be a small bowl or dish of water tucked away,though being small it may need topping up in dry weather.

Frogs and toads really only need a larger pond for breeding so there may be somewhere in your area that fits the bill already.

Other than that I would do as Dove says and keep doing what you already do.

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • HelskiHelski Posts: 13

Thank you dove and penguin.  I'll keep doing what we're doing and find something small to put some water in.  Perhaps we'll find something at the Malvern show,can't wait :)

If you don't want a pond, a bog garden would be good for your wildlife 

See this old thread http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/wildlife-gardening/making-a-bog-garden/86518.html 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 4,609

I have a half barrel with water and a tiny solar fountain  my tortoise enclosure just half sunken into the soil with lots of large leaved plants around it, even a little water is better than none 

• I have an abandoned waterfall waterfeature in my garden, the pond is really tiny, (about 50cm in diameter I guess and maybe 40cm deep) but it housed 4 or 5 grown up frogs and one salamander last year. The waterfall part, is hollow underneath and overgrown so it gives cool shelter outside the water.

This afternoon a girlfriend of ours brought us some tadpoles as there seemed to be only one frog left in the pond and it takes two to tango.image

So a bit of water and shelter is all frogs need. The "pond" probably can be as small as a household bucket.

Last edited: 09 May 2017 18:58:32

Salamandar?!  How exotic!  Whereabouts are you ....... roughly? 

• Dovefromabove says:

Salamandar?!  How exotic!  Whereabouts are you ....... roughly?

C'mon unquote!!!

North-east Netherlands. It actually was the first salamander I saw in real life! It was hiding in an old flowerpot which I was about to throw away. Talking about one lucky salamander!
    Anyway I put him/her close to our tiny pond and he at least stayed a couple of months. Haven't seen him/her since so I assume it's gone. image

Last edited: 09 May 2017 19:03:29

Checked my tiny pond today and found a second frog and the salamander is also still there.

Didn't know you have wild salamanders in the Netherlands - wonder why we don't have them over here.image

the other day we watched Smooth newts doing their courtship display in our pond ... Wonderful image

There is a shallow sloping area in your pond to enable the frogs to leave the water isn't there ?

Last edited: 12 May 2017 06:54:39