Forum home Garden design

Trees for height in small garden

Hi, I'm after some advice on what trees would work in our newly landscaped garden please. I have 2 planting holes in the patio, which are close to the boundary and close to the house. I'd like 2 matching trees to create height and a bit of privacy above the fence / trellis line. The trees mustn't get too big that the roots are a problem. To maximise space in the patio, I'd like the trees to have a thin clear stem, with the branches starting from around 5', and the overall height to be around 10'. Anyone any ideas of what would work well? I think Silver Birches grow too big. We've tried Cratagious (hawthorn) but foliage not dense enough. Thanks in advance.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,545

HOW BIG ARE THE HOLES?

BIG ENOUGH FOR SUFFICIENT RAINWATER TO FEED THE TREES?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • HFoxHFox Posts: 3

Hi, the holes are approx 45x60cm each, so not huge, but we would be happy to water them as we have a waterbutt nearby. 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,545

BAY TREES?

FOR A FEW YEARS THEY WOULD BE OK.

TROUBLE IS, NOTHING GROWS TO 10' FROM 5' AND STOPS THERE. EVERYTHING KEEPS ON GROWING.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • HFoxHFox Posts: 3

Thanks for your reply. I'm wondering whether Amelanchier ballerina might work? 

• glasgowdanglasgowdan Posts: 632

Sorbus aria and pyrus chanticleer would be great.

• BobFlannigonBobFlannigon Posts: 619

Olive tree?  Evergreen, drought tolerant (once established), grows so slowly that you can easily manage their height.  Lovely foliage, and you might even get an olive off of it!