Forum home Wildlife gardening

Birds nesting in roof eaves

Hi everyone,

We've currently got a sparrow and starling nest under the roof eaves on each side of our house. We've had them for a couple of years now. I'm struggling to find online whether there's any maintenance to the nest area you're supposed to undertake when it's under the eaves? I know that for nestboxes you're advised to disinfect once a year once the birds have moved out. I'm guessing that you're not expected to be able to reach the eaves nest area as it's only accessible through a small gap, but I wanted to make sure there wasn't anything we're supposed to do over Winter etc.

Thanks for any help.

Lucid image

• pbffpbff Posts: 433

We just leave them to their own devices, Lucid.

Nestboxes we clean out, but the birds seem to clean out the eaves nests themselves.

🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,576

We ended up with a large colony of sparrows in our roof eaves in Belgium.  The only thing we did was block off the tight angle of the roof from the inside to reduce the number fledging inside into the attic - and being caught by our cats.   Worked a treat.

Our letter box was on the garage wall below and its lid needed a regular clean as the parents ditched poo sacs but that's all.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • LucidLucid Posts: 385

Thanks very much pbff and Obelixx. Am glad to hear that they keep it under control themselves. 

Lucid image