Forum home Problem solving

Japanese cherry blossom problem

imageimage

I have what I believe to be a Japanese cherry blossom tree in my back garden.

It successfully blossomed all over during February / March and then new leaves started to appear. 

For some reason the tree has leaves at the top and bottom however the middle has no new growth and looks strange.

I am wondering if the tree has a disease and requires treatment.  I have attached pictures and would appreciate any advice on what is causing the problem and how to resolve.

Thanks

Last edited: 03 May 2017 17:40:36

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,267

IT CERTAINLY DOES NOT LOOK HAPPY.

DO ALL THE AFFECTED LEAVES/TWIGS/BRANCHES EMANATE FROM ONE MAIN BRANCH OR ARE THEY SCATTERED AMONGST HEALTHY LOOKING LEAVES ON THE SAME BRANCHES?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Without a much closer inspection I'd say they emanate from a main branch.  In this case a number of main branches as it looks quite widespread.

There are the odd new small leaves here and there (not many though). I went out and removed what appears to be mainly withered blossom with some small withered leaves here and there.

Im starting to think it's blossom wilt. I was going to remove the dead material and apply some rose fungicide to try and control the problem (assuming it is blossom wilt).

• Cut off the debased limbs it will regrow