Forum home Garden design

Ideas for pergola

Hi all

I am new to this site and to gardening. We have just moved into our new home which has a lovely large garden. In the garden  we have a pergola looking feature which currently has roses growing all over it. I would like to get rid of the Roses as we have young children and see this feature being a good tunnel to run through. Could anyone recommend a climber plant or flower that would grow covering the bricks and around the top into an arch shape to create a tunnel. Ideally something that's low maintenance. I like willow trees a day have seen a few tunnels that have been created with these.

Many thanksimageimage

Last edited: 03 May 2017 13:43:40

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,914

Oh, you are so lucky what a lovelly feature, keep the roses, but yes willow definitely, something scented Jasmine maybe.

• Kelly40Kelly40 Posts: 14

Thank you for the reply Nanny Beach and yes we are very lucky : )

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,579

Pics right side up

I suggest clematis, honeysuckle, jasmine.

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • Kelly40Kelly40 Posts: 14

Thanks for suggestions and rotating my images Papi Jo 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,084

Keep the roses but feed them and maybe prune them a bit.  They'll be a perfect host for scrambling clematis or jasmine or honeysuckle as suggested.   They'll give pleasure for many more eyasr than your kids will want a tunnel to run in.

By all means make a living willow "cave" or teepee elsewhere but be aware that it will absorb huge amounts of water which may not be so good for nearby plants or lawn and, unless regularly maintained, they soon grow out of hand.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Course realistically, roses are NOT low maintenence are they, I didnt say honeysuckle (although I love them and have lots) because I wasnt sure how old the children are.  We moved house when our youngest was just over a year, at the "everything in the mouth" stage, and folk thought I was barmy because I made Hubby remove a huge old honeysuckle.  We grow a lot of soft fruit, and other grandparents let our grandchildren helpthemself around the garden, they are (nearly)6 and 7 now and have been told to touch NOTHING without speaking to us first.

Climbing roses and ramblers just need an anuual prune and then dead heading if they are repeat flowerers, a good feed in spring and a mulch in autumn.  Not exactly heavy duty.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

True Obelixx, but I have a Rambling rector and s imilar tiny flowered yellow rambler, which has thousands of flowers to dead head, and the brief DID say low maintanence They both go mad, and we are thinking of small kids going thru them, they are pretty prickly!.Cant believe I forgot Montana, I have a huge one.yes, very reliable and pretty.

Those that flower once like R Rector do not need dead-heading.

Montanas are great in the right place but I prefer clems with a longer flowering season.  The summer flwoering ones do it for 2 to 4 months, not just a couple of weeks.