Forum home Problem solving

Fatsia japonica, Boston ivy and Lupins

Hi all, I am hoping someone could give me an idea what's wrong with my plants. Had to go away for a week and came back to my plants looking as they do! The large Fatsia has been in situ for approximately 9 years, the smaller Fatsia has been there for approximately 2 years and both have been growing with no problems at all and all other plants around them are fine. I also have an ivy which has been in for around 3 years with no problems. Lastly my Lupins have same problem! Any idea please

imageimageimage

image image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,397

Frost?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,447

Frost on new growth. They'll recover.

I can't see any lupins, but that's probably because all the photos are sideways  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,415

Frost.  In another thread I've posted pics of my Fatsia, same condition as yours.

I plan to pull off the affected leaves after I see new leaves, and we will.  It will get over it and put on new growth, it's not dying.

Once you get new shiny leaves, pull off those that offend.  Or leave nature to it and they'll fall off eventually.  Fatsias lose a few leaves each year anyway as I'm sure you're aware.

• pbffpbff Posts: 433

Last week's frost devastated in my garden:

- all the new unfurling fern fronds (a gorgeous Polystichum polyblepharum- Japanese Tassel Fern - was the most heart-breaking)

- top growth of my Lamprocapnos spectabilis, Astilbes, some Hostas and thyme

- new shoots on Pieris, Hydrangeas, Acers, Fuchsia 'Hawkshead', Kolkwizitia, tree peony and walnut 

- new shoots on all the roses

- foliage of tulips and alliums

Amazingly, all the apple and cherry blossom survived.

Most cut up about the ferns and Lamprocapnos, which are my favourite plants and were looking stunning.

The peony, Hostas and Astilbes are beginning to recover already though, so don't worry Katherine, yours will recover.

At least we know we're all in good company!image

🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌
  • Thank you to everyone who answered my question! So glad to know that my plants will survive!  Hopefully they will recover soon as they were looking beautiful before I went away so was shocked on my return. You have all been a great help, thank you again ???