Forum home Wildlife gardening

Blackbirds

B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,043

I have just been watching a blackboard build its nest  - for once in a reasonably sensible pace!

I was wondering:

Do they build the nest before or after mating?

How long does it take an egg to form?

In London. Keen but lazy.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,306

in my experience of watching Mrs Blackbird in my last garden. She was always building them. One year she built 4 of them in a small garden. She also seemed to totally abandon the eggs for ages once she'd laid them, BUT, every year there were babies and , if the f*ckin cats didn't kill them, they fledged.

They seem to know what they're doing , even if it doesn't seem that way to us.

Devon.
  • IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,364

There are a lot in and around our garden. Early in the season the males sometimes spar with each other like cockerals, showing off, while the females are rushing around trying to find worms. 

I took the lids off the "ready to use  now" compost bins so the black birds could have a go at the worms. They are quite fearless and follow  me around when I am digging They are my garden favourites.

They are at their best in summer when they sit at the top of trees singing their socks off.

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• TootsietimTootsietim Posts: 178

in general, bird eggs take around a day to pass from ovary to being laid. They are fertilised before the white and shell are added. the nest building (female only for blackbirds) takes around 2 weeks. Once laid, the female won't start to brood the eggs until the clutch is complete.

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,043

Thanks toots and othersimage

In London. Keen but lazy.