Forum home Wildlife gardening

Bird Station position help

Hello,

I bought a few bird feeds, a bird station and a bird house (still empty), but what I did not realise is that because of my hard surface, there is a lot of bird dropping, its fine I can just was it every couple of days. So far I have seen a Magpie and not sure if its a Thrush or a Dunnock. There a large pigeon but he does not use the feed.

How is this looking?
Any recommendations on where to place things?
Any possible ways to reduce the bird droppings?

Also, anything I can do, the left hand side patch is being destroyed by squirrels all the time.

Thanks,
Ahmad

Last edited: 30 April 2017 19:54:09

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,053

Where you have birds, you will have droppings. It's a fact. You could position the feeders over the raised bed but then you will find the bird seed will germinate - unless you buy the non-germinating seed. 

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • BLTBLT Posts: 525

Bring it closer to the house then you can watch the activity.. Do not place Bird house too high about 5ft is good. Make sure it is not going to be easy access for Squirrels and Cats!!!  Pigeons a greedy and will grap a the seed and flick the rest all over the place discouraging the smaller birds..

I did have a pair of Great Tits begin to nest but the large unwanted pigeon scared them off..

• knigh7knigh7 Posts: 7

I just went and bought another station (left side under the plants) hopefully this will reduce the droppings, but no birds use it, its been there for 4 hours. The right side is used only and only get song thrush and a pigeon, the pigeon seems very respectful and does not cause a big mess. Really hoping to attract some other types especially parakeets.

What is really interesting is that my son told me that a Magpie peeked its head into the bird house!

Last edited: 01 May 2017 14:05:33

• Daisy33Daisy33 LondonPosts: 1,031

A friend says he microwaves his seed before putting it out which stops it growing, not tried it myself so can't vouch for this tip.

You don't want magpies sticking their heads into other birds' nests, they are up to no good. image

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,933

It usually takes a week or two for a bird feeder to really get busy, so don't worry when it isn't buzzing after four hours of being first hung.  image

Utah, USA.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,263

A birdbath will attract birds to your garden just as much as food will, or even more.  Just keep it filled with fresh water and the birds will be so grateful.  

You can get some lovely designs which will complement your style of garden image  Some examples here

https://www.primrose.co.uk/bird-baths-c-1_134.html  

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• knigh7knigh7 Posts: 7

Thanks all, I might need to move them, saw the neighbours cat lurking on top of the left fence image

• BLTBLT Posts: 525

Yep Cats can be a problem, a neighbours cat used to sit on my bird house roof until I moved it a bit furthrt from my fence...

I wanted to deterr large birds so  I put water and seed mix on a tray just under the bird house.. Pigeons tried to steal all the seed so I reduced the depth under the bird table by resting 2 bricks one either side of the food area..  This prevented pigeons and Magpies from getting to the seed..  It was amusing to watch the pigeons bouce off the brick.. Now all I get is the smaller birds ..

It takes a few days before the smaller birds feel safe to visit but it was worth the wait..

Last edited: 02 May 2017 21:06:18

• The magpie will be looking to see if there is a tasty snack in the nest box, they will take eggs and young, you need to have a fairly small entrance hole for blue tits and sometimes it may have to be reinforced with a metal surround as squirrels and woodpeckers are not above doing the same if you have any locally. Nestboxes should face a north-easterly direction if possible, and not where they will be in direct sunlight during the heat of the day.

Most birds welcome some cover to hide in close to feeders as they feel vulnerable when feeding, and if you could plant some shrubs or climbers (maybe in containers?) around the feeding station this would encourage them. Cats will invariably spot the birds feeding so make sure they cannot get within pouncing reach. Tree rats (squirrels) and flying rats (wood pigeons) are a pain and will scare off the smaller birds. If you cannot shoot them (and I'm guessing you're in an urban area) you will have to deter them with other means, you can get squirrel proof feeders for peanuts, they can easily chew through the wire of ordinary feeders!

Song thrushes are becoming rare, they don't usually visit bird feeders, what they really like to feed on are snails, you will know if you have one by the pile of snail shells scattered around the area they use to smash them, as well, of course, as their lovely song!

It will take the local birds a while to discover their new snack bar, but once they do make sure you feed regularly. Keep the food and water containers clean, fresh water daily if possible as diseases can be spread between the birds quite easily - I believe greenfinches are currently suffering from something they pick up from feeding areas. Above all enjoy watching your visitors image