What plant?

weedztyweedzty Posts: 3

Does anyone know the name of this plant? It grows in little clumps and its structure is very fragile. It is commonly seen in shady places of moist soil and also I've seen some growing in bricks. I asked someone about this plant, and she said that it is some kind of an angiosperm plant and commonly mistaken as moss, but she never stated the name.

It is starting to take over in my garden and I'm starting get curious about its identity.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,102

Need to see a photo of it image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• weedztyweedzty Posts: 3

• From your initial description would have said it could be Mind-your-own-business (Soleirolia soleirolii) or a form of Liverwort.

Can't zoom in with enough detail but from the pic, it looks like a Cotoneaster, which is a shrub from the rose family. They grow red berries around Autumn time and can be somewhat invasive but a good food source for birds.

If yours are growing out of gaps in the wall, those need to be eradicated as their wood is incredibly tough and will compromise and split brickwork over time.

Last edited: 30 April 2017 13:54:58

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,088

Described as fragile so not cotoneaster. I've enlarged this to the point of blur and it's not cotoneaster anyway. I think we're looking at something much smaller.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,262

Could it be a type of Vetch? 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,199

How about Adiantum capillus veneris, the native Maidenhair fern?

• weedztyweedzty Posts: 3

oh oh I got it!! it's Pilea microphylla... someone just answered me through email...

Thanks anyway guysimage