Forum home Fruit & veg

Dividing tomatoes

hi good morning. This is my first time growing anything so forgive me if I sound clueless. I've started to grow tomatoes, I grew several in little containers. When they was a decent size Instead of putting them in individual containers I put them all into one thinking I'd get a giant plant. I had been planning on just putting this plant into a giant container and seeing what happned.

Now all of my family say this won't work and I'll have to divide the plants up. Is this correct? If I did have to divide them up what would be the bestvway of doing it? Wash the soil off to prevent roots breaking? I've attached a picture of the plant in its current form. Thanks for your help 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,319

Water thoroughly and then tip them out and carefully pull apart. Plant them up individually and cross your fingers! When you replant, bury them a little deeper - up to the first set of leaves. Tht will help to anchor them.  You may not be able to keep all of them going, but you should get some. Good luck  image

Alternatively, snip off all the stems and just leave a single one. The only problem with that is that they'll still grow, so you'll have to keep doing it, and that could be tricky. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,799

I'd do as Fairy says in her first paragraph.  And when you handle the little plants, handle them by the leaves, not the stems.  The leaves can cope with a bit of handling, but you don't want to bruise the stem. 

Good luck, you're not the first and you won't be the last to do this ..... and I'm sure you'll get some healthy plants out of it.  Don't worry if they droop to start with ...  and don't over water them.

Don't be afraid to come back and ask any questions ... we like to help.

Let us know how you get on image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks very much for your kind replies. I will separate them on Monday when I have time. I assume the same rules apply to peppers and chilli plants ? ? As I've also applied my "lump as many in a pot as possible" philosophy  to these too. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,799

Yes ... you're learning image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• CeresCeres Posts: 1,823

And for next year, just plant two seeds per small pot then you can pull out the weaker seedling at an early stage and let the stronger one grow on. If both seedlings are strong and healthy, then it is easy with just two small plants in a pot, to divide them up and pot both on. I start mine off in John Innes seed compost then pot on into John Innes No 1 which gives them a good start in life. Once they are about a foot tall, they go into very big pots in the greenhouse or out in the garden (after being hardened off).

Good luck.