Forum home Plants

poorly fatsia

I have a Fatsia Japonica which was planted last year and seemed to doing ok. Last week i noticed several new leaves unfurling. However i looked today and they have all gone brown. I live in the south of England and there have been several cold nights , going down to 0 degrees. I am assuming the cold is too blame but could there be another reason and if so what should i do image

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Posts: 8,298

I'm pretty sure that's frost damage, sunshine preferred.  A lot of plants have produced new, tender leaves earlier than usual because up to the last week the weather has been milder than usual - and they've been caught by the cold weather.  It will produce more once the weather warms up again.  image

Since 2019 I've lived in east Clare, in the west of Ireland.
  • Thanks , it was quite an expensive plant so didnt want to lose it. The weather forecast is better next week so hopefully it will perk up.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,754

I'd agree with Liri. They can survive quite a bit of frost. Mine has had umpteen sessions of it this winter,  and they often have rough  foliage through winter anyway, but I leave all the ropey bits on until it warms up and I can snip them off. The new growth is always a bit more susceptible anyway.   It'll come back. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Thank you , glad it will be ok.