Forum home Problem solving

Does anyone know what this plant is?

Hi.  This is in my garden, but I have no idea what it is.  It's a large grass plant with approx 3' to 4' stalks growing from it.  Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited: 27 April 2017 14:28:00

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,162

IT LOOKS VERY MUCH LIKE A TALLER VERSION OF THE THING ON THE RIGHT, A DAY LILY.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • S104S104 Posts: 2

Thank you for your response!  I have 8 day lily's in my garden that are small and whose stalks are all relatively short, and then I have 7 of these larger ones whose stalks are HUGE.  Are they just growing at different rates or could it be that they are different species?

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,444

I expect they are a different variety of day lily - flowering a bit later by the look of it, maybe with different coloured flowers.

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,623

Some are early and some are middle and some late flowerers.  I had a dozen different hemerocallis in my last garden with flowering times from May to October frosts.  The early, yellow ones had the shortest flowering period but a lovely perfume.

Last edited: 27 April 2017 15:34:15

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,162
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.