Planting out bulls heart tomatoes

i am in Spain and have 12 tomatoes plants about 6-8 inches tall. They are bulls heart variety. how deep and how far apart do I plant them. I am new to gardening so thought tomatoes would be a good start for me. Any advise would be appreciated. Thank you

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,273

YOU MIGHT HAVE TO WAIT A WEE WHILE. MOST OF US ARE IN UK AND JUST GETTING OVER A FROST THIS MORNING.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,738

I've grown Black Russian before which are not as big as Bull's Heart, but they're the similar in other respects.

You can plant your tomatoes quite deep when you plant in their final positions, If you plant several inches deeper than in the pot, this will encourage feeder roots to grow from the main stem, so your plants will get more nourishment.

I usually plant at least 2ft apart, but if you have the space, then plant them wider to allow more sun and air around your plants. You may need to provide support for the trusses as well, the tomatoes are very heavy and may pull the truss away from the plant, but see how you get on in the mean time.

Don't feed with anything until you see the tiny tomatoes forming on the first truss, then give it a tomato fert. every 10ish days until they're finished. Seaweed extract is a good supplement to use in conjunction with fertilizer. 

Good luck

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Thank you for that clear advice Pete8. I will try that.