Forum home Garden design

Bird ID

Afternoon Everyone,

Does anyone know what type of bird this is. There were two of them just enjoying my lovely dandelion-y lawn!

Last edited: 26 April 2017 18:36:07

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,568

That's a goldfinch - they're seed eaters so were probably tucking into your dandelion seeds.

They're so beautiful and have such a gorgeous song that in days gone by they were caught and kept as cagebirds. image

We get lots of them in the trees around our garden.  If you put out bird food in hanging feeders, they simply love sunflower hearts. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• PollyRPollyR Posts: 64

Hi Dovefromabove,

Lovely, yes they were having a good munch on the fluffy ones! I don't feel so bad about the state of it now! image

Last edited: 26 April 2017 18:42:23

• pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,172

They also, allegedly, love Niger seed.  However, they will only eat that when there isn't enough in the sunflower heart feeder!  But we have had as many as 28 in our small garden - many on the feeders, and many more scavenging on the ground for the seed that has fallen below the bird feeder. 

Of all the British birds, this is one of the most exotic-looking and, according to RSPB surveys, one of the success stories of recent years.

I love them - and waste a lot of time just observing them and marvelling at their bright colours.

Hi Shrinking Violet,

I must admit I just wasted a good 30 mins just watching them, they are beautiful. There is also a magpie who comes around making a load of noise and I find him fascinating and beautiful also.

I am in two minds whether to put up bird feeders. I would love to encourage more into the garden but I worry that the cat, who is a very good huntress would kill them. Her eyes light up when she sees anything in the garden!

• pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,172

I have had cats for many years.  Their eyes may light up at the sight of a feathered friend (or a mouse) but their ability to catch the wild birds is not as great as some would have you believe!

They (the cats) are unable to leap across a wide expanse of open ground/grass without the birds flying off in alarm.  Far more difficult for the birds is where there are shrubs/trees etc that give the cats cover as they stalk their prey.

I find it distressing when a beautiful bird is caught and killed;  I take solace from the fact that it is the weakest who fall prey to predation, and that the strongest are the survivors.  The numbers of birds in my garden and at my feeders seem to confirm that.

Mind you, I am less tolerant of magpies than you are!  Or rooks/crows, for that matter.  Just a personal thing, I guess!

• Put them up Polly you won't condemn more to death, you'll  just be glad that you did!

We have two cats and I was worried exactly as you are but in fact we keep them well fed, put a bell on their collar and cut their claws.  The male cat can't be bothered to hunt anyway and the female is more likely to but I've only seen her catch two or three birds over the last 3 years.  From my observation there is no negative impact at all on their numbers and feeding them should serve to help increase their numbers.

Besides, the majority of birds don't feed off the ground, despite the photo above I rarely see Goldfinches on the ground, it's usually the black birds, starlings and sparrows (less so).  That may be because they are aware of the cats but even on the ground they aren't quite the sitting ducks you might think.  Sparrow numbers in our garden have shot up over the last 3 years (since we moved in) probably doubled, actually.  I'm not sure how many a garden can actually support

Yes, I'm going to give it a go - and if it's a complete massacre then I can always take them down! The cat mainly brings back mice, although she does catch birds of varying sorts including a poor robin and once I think a pigeon, although I just found an enormous amount of feathers and no bird :(

I'm on the RSPB website now and will get busy at the weekend! 

• Bee GBee G Posts: 33

image  They're very brave little birds-much less timid than many others-and very greedy-I've spent an absolute fortune on seeds this winter-they can empty a large feeder in under 2 days!!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,568
    Bee G says:
    image ...they can empty a large feeder in under 2 days!!

Can't they just! image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,128

Mine were emptying 2 large feeders in ONE day in the depth of winter!!

They do like dandelions and are very methodical in the way they eat them. I leave some in the cracks on the terrace just so I can watch the birds feedingimage