Forum home Problem solving

Roses under attack

Several of my rose bushes have their leaves stuck together and also holes in them. Opened a few but empty except for one which had a tiny brown striped caterpillar inside (disposed of). Not sure if this is rose sawfly or tortrix caterpillar. If I hand pick the poor roses will be almost bare. Is there a biological spray I can use?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,324

I wouldn't spray -  you'll be in danger of killing off the ladybird larvae etc which will chomp your aphids.  If most of them are empty they've either moved on already, or the blue tits have taken them for their young.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,562

There's some info and advice on the RHS site about rosa sawfly but my internet is slow today and times out before the page comes up.  Try googling "RHS+rosa+sawfly" and see if you have better luck.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I found this - https://hedgerowrose.com/pests-diseases/2011/06/01/identifying-and-eliminating-sawfly-larvae-on-roses/ 

No organic spray but some good advice on rose care.  Interesting for me too as I'm planning a perfumed and rose project in my new garden.  

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,324

Sawfly link here https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=196 

I've had (or rather my roses have) sawfly in the past ... they weren't as Grajean describes. Little beggars strip the leaves leaving just the stems and leaf veins.  Never seen them wrapped in folded leaves. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

They'll be the other pest then.  Also a page on the RHS I can't load at the mo.