Watering cans

hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,966

AM I the only one who buys watering cans (plastic for the weight) and then gets ticked off when the 'rose' drips huge amount of water as well as a fine spray. Right way up or other way up, my can always has huge dribbles. Bought a metal all-purpose rose but of course it doesn't fit my can!!

Any recommendations for dribble free lightweight watering cans?

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller

• CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,177

My best one for this is a £2.99 small can from somewhere like Tescos but I got a rubber rose from somewhere and I find the rubber rose is better than a plastic one.  My plastic one made by some fancy company is worse than useless so I chucked the rose on that one.

• BLTBLT Posts: 525

I have about 4 watering cans, some I use with those rubber roses but they still produce bigger drips partiularlywhen the can is about a quart full, so you are not alone. Yjose rubber roses are a universal fit and perhaps some fit better than others..

My problem today is that I'm getting blossom in the cans as its blowibg off the trees, which blocks inside the rose...There is no suitable tap for a hose either...  Sigh...

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,386

I love my Haws (metal) watering can - perfect balance and lovely long spout for watering things at the backimage .... and the brass rose doesn't dribbleimage

A metal Haws is a very expensive, last a lifetime, watering can (mine was a 'special wedding anniversary' present) - but they also make cheaper, lightweight plastic ones. These seem to have the same qualities of balance etc as the metal ones - and they use the non-dribble brass roses.

They are still expensive for a plastic watering can but a good investment piece to make a boring job more pleasurable. Do you have a birthday coming up?imageimage

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,966

No but as I am in the middle of major house (and garden) renovations I won't miss that amount of money. Have already gone well over budget on utility room and then added the bathroom............

Will check out the Hawes one. 

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Giddy123Giddy123 Posts: 306

I recently bought a Haws (plastic) watering can with brass rose. I too was sick to buying cheap watering cans as the rose doesn't last. 

I would defiantly recommend the Haws cans. Bit pricey though.  

• CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,177

oh is that what that's for?  doh! image