I AM SO CONFUSED!!!

Hi all,

Please can somebody help me out and advise me what vegetable seeds to sow now? I have got so many tabs on my screen from looking at various websites, I can't take it anymore. I have a mini greenhouse and just a balcony no garden. I am so peed off right now I have wasted all day getting nowhere. Please can somebody help me and tell me what seeds to buy to plant now.

Many thanks

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,087

I'd start from 'What would I like to grow and eat'. That's far more important than whether you sow it this week or next.

Then look to see when to plant them

Then buy the seeds or plants and get them in

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,149

A QUICK LOOK ON THE BACK OF ANY SEED PACKET WILL GIVE YOU A LOT OF HELP.

ALSO, ONLY PLANT THINGS THAT YOU LIKE TO EAT. NO POINT IN GROWING PARSLEY IF YOU CAN'T STAND IT, FOR EXAMPLE.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,120

Hi flowerbomb,  hope you don't mind but I'm adding a link to your other thread...

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/fruit-and-veg/newbie-in-need-of-advice/995851.html

Just so others can see what you're thinking about growing, saves you repeating yourself image

Container grown fruit & veg on a balcony?   Yes?

The patio tomatoes I mentioned on the other thread would be good, you could grow them in pots or hanging baskets. 

You mentioned potatoes, not grown them myself but if you can get last weeks beechgrove gardens on iPlayer, they were showing how to plant up potato sacks.

I've replied to your pm questions.

Gotta go, I'll be back in a bit.

• Tomatoes, peppers and strawberries come to mind - all can be grown in pots or containers now. I am sure Kitty's link will provide you with plenty more ideas and "how to do it" hints - happy growing flowerbomb

• CeresCeres Posts: 1,823

Don't grow anything you can easily buy in the supermarket though I'd make an exception for that where tomatoes are concerned. They can be sown indoors now, on a sunny windowsill, and can go out when the weather warms up and there is no longer any danger of frost.

Seeds require a bit of warmth to get going so it is often a mistake to just go by the advice on the back of the seed packets (sorry) and most things will be happier being planted later rather than at the "correct" time with a cold front heading down from the Arctic. Plants will romp away if they are happy about the temperature.

So, just buy the seeds you fancy and if you are happy about going barefoot on the balcony, they probably will be happy about the conditions too.

• Thanks for the great advice everyone, I have taken it all on board and I am now calm. Excellent website! 

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Major on the vegetables that are not good quality when bought.  Avoid cheap, or relatively cheap veg.  Grow the best stuff.  Runner beans, French beans, maybe sweetcorn, lettuce.  Next year, new potatoes.