Forum home Wildlife gardening

FInally seen my Hedgehog

LucyLLucyL InvernessPosts: 163

Heya everyone,

Last night i finally saw my hedgehog who has been usuing my homemade hedgehog feeding station. To say i'm delighted is an understatement!

Q1) Is there any way to tell if my hog is female/male?

Q2) Today is has started to snow... is my hog gona be ok now its out of hibernation? I'll certainly keep my food and water full for it.

Q3) At the moment i am feeding it hedgehog biscuits with a couple of dried mealworms as a little treat (i know not to give them too many mealworms) is there anything else i should possibly feed it?

Thank you :)

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,448

Great that you have seen your hoggie!

Answers to your questions:-

1. There is a way to tell but it is a bit difficult as you need to pick up the hedgehog and unroll it to find out,so best just to leave it alone.

2.The snow won't hurt the hedgehog,if it gets very cold it may go to a nest and sleep it out!

3.What you are feeding is fine.You can also give a few whole peanuts,sunflower seeds,raisins etc.(no fish,milk or bread).Remember to put out water as well.

Enjoy your hoggie!!!!

Last edited: 24 April 2017 13:33:47

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • LucyLLucyL InvernessPosts: 163

Thank you madpenguin :)

I had a feeling that was the only way to tell, i'm happy regardless! And thanks for the extra bits i can feed it :) certainly get some of them on the go

And i certainly will enjoy my hoggie!! i will now be going to bed later so that i can see him/her at nights, found it last night at 11.15pm so thinking it will be here roughly at that time :)

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,564

Cat food is also good, especially if you find an underweight hog in autumn.  It will build up its reserves very nicely.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I actually use Go-Cat for my hogs (they like the one with liver).Tried them with 'wet' cat food and they never took to it so gave up!

Hedgehog food can be expensive yet the Go-Cat is relatively cheap.

I read somewhere that the hard stuff is good for their teeth and gums!

It is, and doesn't go off as fast as wet food.  I have both for our cats but have yet to find any hogs in this new garden but I know there's one next door.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

If you know you have hogs next door have they got a hole or access into your garden?

If so then it won't be long before they visit you!

It is a holey fence with gaps big enough for kittens and, no doubt, hogs.  Trouble is we have a terrier cross who likes to "mother" hogs so I'd rather they stayed over there or hid where she is less likely to find them and try to pick them up and bring them home to me.   Much yelping from the dog mixed with squeals of "Mum, I've found a hog" and the hogs aren't too keen on the process either.

I'll keep an eye out and probably build them a shelter in a wild corner but otherwise not encourage them in the main garden.

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

Stick with the hedgehog specific or meat flavoured cat biscuits. Don't feed raisins, they rot the teeth & contain lots of sugar - same with a lot of peanuts. Keep fresh water available, you're doing a great job - he/she looks quite small, possibly an autumn juvenile from last year that has made it because of wonderful people like yourself feeding. 

Don't be surprised if he disappears while its cold & waits it out. A hedgehog highway would be a great way of inviting others to join too. 

Last edited: 24 April 2017 16:35:17

• LucyLLucyL InvernessPosts: 163

Thanks Mark56, how big can they go to? to me i thought it was quite big lol! The hog has plenty of ways to access my garden and all my neighbouts, either via hedges or fences (that have space for my collie to walk out under lol!) My neighbours are starting to make holes in their gardens too into other gardens :D

I'll keep feeding him/her the hedgehog biscuits but will give a little of everything else in turn :)

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

Up to 40cm long & sometimes equally as wide! image Extract from a local rescue re: feeding here & more advice on my thread:

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/wildlife-gardening/help-save-the-hedgehogs-part-ii/993170.html