Forum home The potting shed

John innes no 1

Hello there , I have a small bag of john innes 1 how should i use it , bearing in mind I will not be planting any seedling trays ?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,574
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• NoviceHerbsNoviceHerbs Posts: 126

I have already read this ,  just wondering if I can mix this with other compost ?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,499

IF YOU HAVE READ UP ABOUT THE HISTORY OF JOHN INNES MIXTURES YOU WILL JNOW THAT THEY ARE ALL MADE TO SPECIFIC RECIPES WHICH ARE DESIGNED FOR SPECIFIC PURPOSES.

YES YOU CAN MIX JI WITH ANYTHING YOU LIKE BUT WHY BUY IT AND THEN MESS UP SOMEONE'S LIFE'S WORK AND RESEARCH?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

I got it Free

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 2,911

Of course you can use it for other stuff. It's probably a bit lighter than regular compost, it would probably be fine for herbs etc. It's optimised for seedlings etc but that doesn't mean it won't support other uses.

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 2,911

You could just save it until you do want to raise seedlings or cuttings.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,499

YOU SAY IN YOUR BIOGRAPHY THAT YOU LIKE COOKING.

IF YOU BOUGHT (OR EVEN GOT FOR FREE) A BOTTLE OF THE FINEST VIRGIN OLIVE OIL WHICH SAID ON THE LABEL "DESIGNED TO BE USED IN THE  FOLLOWING WAYS....." WOULD YOU MIX IT WITH SOME OTHER OIL AND USE IT DIFFERENTLY?

YES, YOU COULD DO THAT BUT WHY WOULD YOU WHEN THE MANUFACTURER HAS ADVISED YOUR FOR ITS OPTIMUM ENJOYMENT?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

So I dont use it then

but RHS says use john innes 1 for herbs

Thanks WillDB finally someone who answers the question