Forum home Wildlife gardening

Can someone ID please

Could someone please ID this for me, I have never had one of these in the garden before and would really like to know what it is. Thank you for any help.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,498

You are very lucky as it looks like an Adonis Blue Butterfly. Beautiful!

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Lorna95Lorna95 Posts: 436

Thanks Ladybird4, Here is another photo, My husband had a quick look on the net and he thinks it might be a Holly blue butterfly.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,498

I think your husband has found the right one. image What a lovely thing to see in your garden though. I am very jealous.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable

Thanks Ladybird4, It's the first time I have seen one, have to say it really made my day.

Thank you for your help.image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,184

Yes, a female Holly Blue image

Females have the black edges around the fore wings

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• yarrow2yarrow2 Posts: 782

What brilliant luck!  Its' beautiful.

I hope I get them come in the garden again, I usually only get the white cabbage butterfly, had a few Tortoiseshell but not many, mainly the white one, I like them all but really love this blue one.

Thank you everyone for your help.

• Ado AnnieAdo Annie Posts: 20

This website has a downloadable file that I often refer to when trying to name some of the butterfly visitors to my garden.

http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/index.php

Last edited: 25 April 2017 06:00:58

Thanks for the link Ado Annie, I will have a look on there, it may come in handy.