Wilting tomato plants

Hi guys,

I've come home from work and my tomato plants have all wilted. It's been extremely hot today and they are in the conservatory. I've given them water and taken them outside to breathe. Will this fix them? I'm so gutted as I've spent so much time nurturing (and worrying) about them and I don't want thm to die. Can anybody offer any suggestions please?

Many thanks image

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,916

They should be ok. It gets unbelievably hot in a conservatory though - even at this time of year. Ventilate as much as you can - especially if you're not around all day to have a door open.

You can also rig up a bit of temporary screening for those days when it's going to be very sunny, or move them to a different part of the conservatory so that they don't get the midday sun image

They'll need better support than they have at the moment too. 

And somewhere on the hill
    Inside the past we hear the bells
    Catching only parts of thoughts
    And fragments of ourselves
    Till we begin
    Again

• BLTBLT Posts: 524

They look huge compared to mine lol.. But they need better staking and tying in too..  I need to rig up some shading in my GH as it got to 40c in there yesterday.. so door and roof window opened..

Hope they recover.. Maybe find a shady sheltered corner of your garden for them..

• Daisy33Daisy33 LondonPosts: 1,026

Have you been pinching them out? Difficult to tell but it looks like that plant may have branched into two "main" stems.

Either way... as has been said by Fairy and BLT, they should recover, and goodness they are huge for this time of the year. image

• I've been pinching the suckers and only fed once last week. I'm shocked how quickly they are growing! They seem to have slowed a bit now and are starting to bear fruit.image

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,916

They don't need feeding Amanda - only do that when they set the first truss of fruits.  image

Just concentrate on keeping a regular watering regime. Inconsistent watering causes splitting of fruits. Have you only nipped out side shoots, or taken the top out? I agree with Daisy that it looks like you have two plants there. In any case, try and  get some better support for them soon, or you risk them breaking. The stems are quite fleshy and get very heavy, so that can happen very suddenly.

The excess heat has probably forced them a bit which is why they're so big. They probably don't have as big a root system as they would have had if they'd grown a little more slowly. 

And somewhere on the hill
    Inside the past we hear the bells
    Catching only parts of thoughts
    And fragments of ourselves
    Till we begin
    Again

• Hi Fairygirl

Thanks for the advice! It's been unusually warming north wales so they have grown extremely fast. I have been flat out at work but found time to re stake them all last night. Came down this morning and they have righted themselves well. They all have tomatoes growing on them finally! So rewarding isn't it? image