Forum home Tools and techniques

Difference between potting mix and compost

Please advise if there is a big difference

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,753

potting mix and potting compost are the same.

Garden compost is a different thing altogether and is mainly used as a soil conditioner.

Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,795

However, there are several different types of potting mix/compost.

Some are soil-less, e.g. what is known as Multi Purpose Compost.  Some of these contain peat and some have coir and other materials replacing the peat.

The others are loam or soil-based potting mix/composts and are based on the John Innes formula. 

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=952 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• NoviceHerbsNoviceHerbs Posts: 126

so the multi compost and john innes no 3 are effectively potting mix

Althought potting mix stand alone products seem to be richer in nutrients such as miracle gro potting mix

NoviceHerbs says:

so the multi compost and john innes no 3 are effectively potting mix

See original post

Yes, you've got it.image

But JI No 3 is for large plants that will stay in the containers for a year or more - like container grown fruit trees, roses etc.  I use JI No 2 for other plants e.g. herbs.

I don't like using Miracle Grow - to me it's a bit like feeding plants on steroids - I prefer to use organic  fertilisers, but that's just my personal preference. 

Last edited: 23 April 2017 16:31:50

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Dove I think your right ,  Can you suggest some fertilizers for me i have gro sure but i am sure it like miracle gro

I've posted on your fertiliser thread. image

sorry dove but seemed to link up in the end

Have you ever used  Worm castings , rock dust , organic seaweed liquid

I do use seaweed liquid as a foliar feed, spraying it onto shrubs.  

If we had enough worm casts here I might gather some to use for small seeds, but really - you'd need so many it'd be ridiculous trying to gather them.  The soil here is fine - no need for rock dust.   

I hope it doesn't sound rude, but I think you really need to stop reading about it and start doing it ... learn by observation and experience ... it's the only way to learn image