Forum home The potting shed

Compost idea

B3B3 Posts: 15,018

I have/had an amorphous heap of compost. All the good, ready stuff is at the bottom.

Someone in the forum mentioned using those huge builder's bags.(the ones with the four handles).

I'm in the process of filling 3.

1 New stuff

2 halfway there

3 ready to use.

The white bags are much cheaper than the green 

In London. Keen but lazy.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,233

Good project B3.

Our local council sell wooden flat pack compost bins for 35€ each, roughly 1m cube .   OH's job to build, fill and turn as appropriate and then dump the good stuff as directed by the head gardener.  I hope they have removable fronts or things could get complicated.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,018

I guilted OH into continuing the job.image

There was a lovely smell off the bag 2 stuff. It reminded me of haymaking at my grandad's. Cut by scythe, pony and cart, Dutch barn.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,233

Love the smell of good compost too, and fresh mown grass and newly turned soil when I'm planting treasures.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165

I've mentioned using them, but I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I've emptied 14 of my dumpy sacks over the last couple of weeks. Once I've finished, I'll post the results.

Devon.
  • derbyduckderbyduck Posts: 137

I stored cow manure in them to mature last year and covered the muck over with black plastic bags I pushed 2 bowl shaped depresions into the plastic cut slits and planted courgetes in the holes ,they did really  well and the plastic kept the courgetes off the muck also I lost no growing space and they where self watering with condensation underneath rain on top so it was a win win situation !

atb DD

I never thought of using them as growbags.. What a great idea! 

Cheapo raised beds.

Might have to screen them though

I wonder how long they last.

Last edited: 22 April 2017 21:27:41

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,705

I get them off of the building site foreman who lives across the road. I get them free. he gets free toms and sweet peas in the summer.  They are great for leaf mould as well as compost heaps.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3

Wondrous thingsimage