Forum home Tools and techniques

Iron chelated by EDTA kill plants?

Hi all, i'm a bit worried. I applied a liquid lawn feed with Iron chelated by EDTA 0.125% on my lawn with a watering can and then used the same watering can to water my perennials/roses etc. Does this kill plants? I am worried there might be traces in the watering can that might kill my plants image

It doesn't mention anything on the lawn feed about this or that it will kill weeds/moss. I haven't found much info online. I know that iron sulphate is used for weeds so maybe this is different.

Many thanks

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,091

It's a feed isn't it? not a weed and feed? 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,495

In theory it should do your roses a power of good as it fixes any iron deficiency that can cause yellowing of the leaves.   

If you can, get a second watering can and spray nozzle for using for feeding and watering and mark them both clearly so you only ever use the other for weedkiller.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • jaffacakesjaffacakes IrelandPosts: 338

Thanks both. Yeah it just mentions feed for lawn. Nothing to do with weeds. Maybe i'm ok then. I was just worried when i saw 'iron' but then maybe this is not to kill moss/weeds but only to green up the lawn so probably wont do any harm to other plants....i hope

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,308

Moss doesn't like Iron which is why it is used as a moss killer.  However, most plants actually need Iron and you will find it is included in all multi purpose feeds.  I wouldn't water lawn feed on other plants directly but just a bit of residue left in a watering can won't cause any harm at all. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • jaffacakesjaffacakes IrelandPosts: 338

Ah great. I guess i was worried about nothing. image

Last edited: 22 April 2017 12:17:33