Forum home Problem solving

External water tap thread size

hi guys I have an external water tap which I am looking to fit a standard modern size screw in hose fitting. But the tap I have seems to be some what smaller, i have looked for an adaptor but I don't know what size my tap is to get the correct adaptor, I also don't know how to measure it. I have posted a pic below it says BS 33 on the side.

Any help would be much appreciated. image


  • WonkyWombleWonkyWomble Posts: 4,468

    Hi I had a similar problem with my kitchen tap yesterday wanting a hose adapter. I also have an outside tap the same as yours, unfortunately its disconnected! But there used to be a hose on it so I'm pretty sure you will be OK. I took a picture of my tap and asked a helpful staff member at Homebase, they seem to have a good selection. Show them the picture of you tap, should be able to advise and if not successful, offer a refund. Good luck!

  • raisingirlraisingirl Posts: 6,897

    It's probably half inch. Most older hose union taps like that are. Hoselock sell a half and three quarter adaptor doobrey which will almost always work. (I expect others do too if you look on a plumbing website). 

    I'd agree with Wonky that your best bet is to take a photo to the shop of your choice and appeal to them for assistance and free swaps of it doesn't fit. Plumbers merchants will probably do this if your local DIY store is staffed by the simian types that seem to be prevalent round here.

    “It's still magic even if you know how it's done.” 
  • Thanks for the advice guys much appreciated 

  • StevedaylillyStevedaylilly Posts: 1,087

    You require a 12mm tap to hose connector that screw threads on to the tap with with a male hose connector. Hoselock are the best but I have used Wilko's own without any leak problems that cost about £1.50 

  • Strip packs of multiple tap connectors/converters available in many hardware stores, including good value shops like Wilko's (like @greenfinfers steve suggested) have metric and imperial fittings in one package and they unless yours is an unusual thread, one of them should do the job.

Sign In or Register to comment.