Forum home Problem solving

Black/Deep Purple Tomato Leaves

Hia All

I've got a problem with my Tomato leaves that are turning black/deep purple with the new leaves looking stunted.

Any help and advise as to what it is and if it can be rectified would be much appreciate.

Thanks

Keith

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 7,752

Might they have had a chill?
    I recall plants often respond to low temps by changing leaf or stem colour - unless it was something in a boring dream image

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 32,766

Pete is right. Your tomatoes have been chilled. It may have been something as simple as the compost they were planted out into being very cold. This can lead to nutritional deficiencies but they should recover once they get a spell of warm weather.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,364

In my bitter experience very chilled tomato plants don't ever do very well.  

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 41,349

I'd agree - it's probably a bit of a chill - that's the  usual reason for that colour. They look quite big - so is it a case of going into a cold environment too quickly and they're suffering from it?

Have you put them outside? image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thanks for the replies all.

I don't normanly put them out this early but this year but I invested in a grow lamp and it's too good, they were getting on for a foot and a half high in 3 inch pots. I hardened them off for a good 3 weeks before planting them out but we have had a couple of light frosts lately.

Hopefully we'll see some good sun and warmer temperatures and they'll pick up.

• IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,364

The Uk weather forecast for next week is for more colder weather .

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• Hi All, hoping to get your advice - I recently sprayed my tomato plants with a tomato pyrethrum spray. 2 days later my tomato plants have dark black marks all over them. We did have a hot day after spraying so wondering if that's the issue. Please help.
  • B3B3 Posts: 19,412
    Where are you? Not many hot days in November. If you're in the UK, it's normal. The cold weather will darken the leaves and the plant will die eventually.  They are not hardy here.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 1,444
    Nor here.  If you must spray, then it should be done in the cool of a still morning, preferably before sun up and certainly not with the sun directly on the plant.
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.