Forum home Plants

Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum' “Autumn Moon Maple”

Hoping for a little guidance, this Autumn Moon Maple is only 18” high and roughly perhaps 2 to 3yrs old, guessing. 

I bought it autumn 2016 and it went into the ground in November.   Its grafted but I don’t know what it’s grafted onto.

It is pushing out a lot of leaves for its size and the leaves of this plant species are large.

Is this plant going to exhaust itself producing so many large leaves for its size?

Should I remove some of them so the plant can, I hope devote its energy to growing?

Or just leave it along?

• Torg22Torg22 Posts: 302

Looks completely fine to me!! Im a tad jealous. This variety is definitely on my next to purchase list, love the leaves!

• Purchased here: https://www.ornamental-trees.co.uk/acer-shirasawanum-aureum-tree-pp895

They were very good, after ordering online I received a phone call out of the blue from them to say that they were not going to post so close to the weekend and they were going to wait until Monday before they despatched it. Pleased I didn't want it standing in a heated sorting office somewhere either over the weekend.

Thank you for the reply

• Torg22Torg22 Posts: 302

Thanks Cottage Compost. Had a browse of the sight! Some nice bits on there.

In respect of your tree, I would personally leave it alone, looks very healthy to me.

• Hi,
    I have literally just purchased one of these, after waiting for 15 days, it arrived in a very sorry state, It looks dried up and shrivelled. I have of course complained, but not sure how far I will get on a refund. It looks like it has been in transit for 3 days, in this heat too!. Does any one think it has a chance, and what do I need to do to it?
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 4,453
    edited July 2019

It is pushing out a lot of leaves for its size and the leaves of this plant species are large.

Is this plant going to exhaust itself producing so many large leaves for its size?

Should I remove some of them so the plant can, I hope devote its energy to growing?

Or just leave it along?

It looks  absolutely perfect.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Acer+shirasawanum+%27Aureum%27+old++tree&rlz=1C1CHBF_enGB785GB785&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjFyMW3mNXjAhUGTBUIHTXgA9kQ_AUIESgB&biw=1920&bih=937#imgrc=V0bDQAhaBLqZ5M:
    Leave well alone.
    Slow for the first few years .
    Over time they can grow huge.
    The rootstock below the graft will probably be Acer palmatum.
    The two..Acer palmatum and Acer shirasawanum Aureum are compatible.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Acer+shirasawanum+%27Aureum%27+old++tree&rlz=1C1CHBF_enGB785GB785&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjFyMW3mNXjAhUGTBUIHTXgA9kQ_AUIESgB&biw=1920&bih=937#imgrc=-JQrQNLpBQ8FMM:

Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
    fhawes65 said:
    Hi,
    I have literally just purchased one of these, after waiting for 15 days, it arrived in a very sorry state, It looks dried up and shrivelled. I have of course complained, but not sure how far I will get on a refund. It looks like it has been in transit for 3 days, in this heat too!. Does any one think it has a chance, and what do I need to do to it?
    Oh dear.
    Early July  is not the best time to order young very special trees by post...
    Nursery should have waited.
    Maybe not the nurseries fault. maybe fault of delivery co.
    Couldn't have picked a hotter spell to have a mail order plant delivered.
    Give it lots of TLC...you may be lucky it may survive.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • I will certainly try, I agree, the courier didn't handle it very well at all. Fingers crossed. Its raining now, so should refresh it a bit.
    Many thanks
    fhawes65 said:
    Its raining now, so should refresh it a bit.
    Many thanks
    I trust you have removed black plastic and left pot to soak in a bucket of water for an hour or more. Never trust rain alone to get to the roots of young plants. 
    Others may not agree, but in hot weather I recommend watering daily, early morning or the cool of the evening.....a good thorough soak...not just the woosh of a hose over each pot for 10 seconds.
    In pots are raised of the ground any excess water will just run through .....so you cannot get water logged roots.

Some modern compost if allowed to get too dry, do not absorb water easily again...be careful

Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • If the company that you bought it from fail to replace or refund you can contact your card company and demand a "Charge Back" Section 75 of the credit card comsumers act of something".  The card company will get you your money back.   You only have a month (I think) within which to do this so if you believe it has died within this time scale start the "Charge Back" process with your card company if the company that you bought it from refuse a refund or replacement.

To finish, my tree, (In the initial Photos April 2017) is at least 2 and bit years old now has trippled in size since purchase and is outstanding.
  • I will certainly follow you kind advice. All the leaves have fallen off now. Their policy is to refund/replace but they said to give it a month, to see if it recovers. I did soak the pot. Should I feed it?. If yes, what with please.
    Thanks again for your help.