Forum home The potting shed

Breaking the rules

Have you ever broken the rules and got away with it?

I moved a large Euphorbia characias in midsummer - a no-no according to the books. Sure enough the soil fell away from the rootball leaving the small root system exposed so it looked like it was a goner.  However I planted it into a depression and watered, watered, watered; and it survived to flower beautifully next spring. It's now quite a huge plant, and probably should be replaced, but it stubbornly refuses to put out any seedlings :(

Last edited: 20 April 2017 09:45:51

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,703

The rules for cuttings are that they have to be taken at a certain time of year.

My rule is, if the chance to take a cutting is offered, take it there and then, the offer may not come along later.

Take one cutting, it will die. Take four and you will have three spare to give away to friends.

Last edited: 20 April 2017 09:53:45

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 2,901
    fidgetbones says:

Take one cutting, it will die. Take four and you will have three spare to give away to friends.

Last edited: 20 April 2017 09:53:45

See original post

Or in my case - take four and they will die! Lol.

(Just kidding, my strike rate is improving!)

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165

I moved a daphne and it thrived. I've got hostas thriving in full sun and none of my thriving agapanthus are potbound.

Mercifully , plants can't read.

Devon.
  • PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Show me a gardener I will show you a rule breaker, we all do it, plants are tougher than we think. I have often found seeds in drawers long out of date, make that years, scattered them on compost and waited, the strike rate is almost as good as new seeds. What does it matter if not all come enjoy those that do says he who planted my South lawn two weeks before Christmas some  years back and now have a lovely green lawn for the Grandchildren to picnic on. Give it a try what is to lose and if you take cuttings first the plant still has a future if things go wrong. I think they call it adventurous living.

Frank

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 3,121

I can't resist a cutting whenever opportunity presents, which is why I now have 2 trays of tiny box plants to find a use forimage

My plants can't read either. 2 troughs of last year's tulips spent the winter almost underwater, due to a gutter collapse. I expected them to be mush, but no, they are thriving and just coming into flowerimage 

I've just been planting loads of old seeds myself, cos nothing can come up if it doesn't get planted, can it ? If they all do though that's a different problem!

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

I don't know the rules image

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489

Nature rulesimage

SW Scotland
  • lydiaannlydiaann Posts: 283

Who needs rules?  I have 'shade' plants in sun and vice versa.  I've moved stuff in autumn when it should have been spring and I've somehow or other managed to keep plants going.  I had a houseplant many years ago which my sister-in-law said was in entirely the wrong place as it "hated draughts"...it was absolutely beautiful.  They needed a temporary home in between properties and, as we were going on holiday, they stayed in our house.  Need I say what happened?  Yup, you're all correct...she moved it - and it died!  'Nuff said.

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 2,901

Sorry to hear that about your plant Lydia Ann. I hope being proved right was some consolation for youimage

• pbffpbff Posts: 433

Transplanting seedlings when they are only supposed to be sown in situ e.g. poppies. Never any problems, although I'm always extra gentle and take care to remove them with as much compost round as possible.

Growing "weeds".

When it comes to propagation, I have found that intuition usually pays off better than the guidelines.

Aren't we lucky that plants don't have a legal system!image

🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌