Forum home The potting shed

Cold Frame design

Building a Cold Frame approx. 700D x 1100W x 600H.

This being positioned on my decking against a S.West/West facing wall. Constructed from timber sides and a spare double glazed unit on top.

Should the base be raised off the decking to help prevent crawly pests entering as I am also covering the base with a Weed suppression matting with drainage to help prevent entry. Or should the base remain open and sit on the decking.

Reason for asking, if any of the pots on the decking are moved lice, worms and ants are found.

Main purpose is for potting on plants started indoors extra.

Last edited: 19 April 2017 17:09:25

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,148

Hi T'sW. If you're sitting it on decking, it needs to be raised up off it - the smae as any container.  I'd put an internal base on it to minimise water draining onto the deck. You could use exterior ply with lots of holes drilled into it, or a few battens with chicken wire or something similar.  To be honest, it's not ideal to have it on a deck though - it should be directly on open ground.

Insects will always be in and around pots or containers. It's what they do! image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,574

Worms are good ... no need to worry about them being around your pots image

Woodlice do little if any harm.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• TerrysWorldTerrysWorld Posts: 112

Thanks,

The other worrying pest are slugs found under the pots and ants nesting in the base of the pots.

Ants like dry conditions. Give the pots a good soak a few times, and they'll most likely move on somewhere else.

Slugs are a common problem and like young, new, juicy foliage so you just have to be vigilant with picking them off or using a method which suits you.

Plants which are grown a bit harder are more able to withstand a nibble or two, but small vulnerable plants will struggle so you have to work at getting the balance.  Part of gardening unfortunately!  image

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,732

"Building a Cold Frame approx. 700D x 1100W x 600H"

700, 1100 and 600 WHAT? inches? centimetres? image

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).

Millimeters 

Having completed the Coldframe.

Should the interior sides be lined with plastic sheeting to help keep the heat or any form of insulation during winter.

Think the size was fairly obvious Papi Jo image

No need to line it T'sWorld. Timber frame is ideal. You'd only need some extra insulation if you had put out some small, tender plants at this time of year and there was a severe frost forecast. Even then - it's highly unlikely it would be needed, and you'd be better using a bit of fleece round anything you were worried about. image

Good luck with your growing - some pix of your efforts would be good too. We always like to see a bit of DIY!  image