Collapsible greenhouse staging

Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,026

Help! I've run out of space in my Rhino Premium 8 x 10 greenhouse.

On 1 side I've got 10ft of staging and will grow tomatoes on the other side (if/when the weather warms up), but in the mean time I'd like to install collapsible staging on that side.

Two Wests had some that looked perfect, but they tell me it's not compatible with my g/house and I'd need to drill the frame to fix it which I don't want to do.

Any ideas?
Thanks

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,120

I got one of these last year for growing seedlings in the conservatory.

http://www.wilko.com/greenhouses/wilko-staging-house-4-tier-silver/invt/0260895

It's a simple "push fit" type. I've found it very sturdy and has plenty of space for lots of trays. Easy to dismantle as well. It will be boxed back up until next year when I've finished hardening off.

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,970

I made some collapsible staging from bits of wood. The end pieces are made complete and then the top sits into the legs. It all comes down flat for storage in the garage over winter. I'll try and attach a drawing.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,970

Here is the drawing. The shelves are slatted and both top and bottom shelves fit over the cross bars on the ends. You can make it whatever size you like. Mine is about 3 ft which gives me another 6 ft of temporary staging. I then take it apart and store it and use the space for my tomatoes. By the time the tomatoes go in some of the plants are ready to go outside for hardening off so it all works together. I think I made the legs and cross bars from some 1 1/2 inch square  wood I had and the slats from other scrap wood lying around. image

Last edited: 19 April 2017 10:24:19

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,026

Thanks Kitty and hog - The staging you suggest hw is a good idea and would do the job, I had one of those mini-shelving thingys a few years ago and it collapsed on me, but would be a good interim solution if I don't overload it..

It's these frosty nights we're getting atm that worry me. I actually made almost what you suggested above many years ago and have been using it as shelving in my shed - it'll do the job perfectly 2 shelves and 8ft long - it'll need strengthening but i'll make it work somehow.

In the mean-time I nipped out and bought a tubular heater that's on the g/h floor surrounded by 80 tender seedlings - hope they survive the night

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.