Lawn soil or Top soil - any difference?

I've cut, scarified and aerated the lawn yesterday and need to seed a few patches.  I need to also bring up a couple of areas that have very slight dips in them...I will have to add some soil and some seed together.

1.  Is there a difference in Top soil and Lawn soil as the packets seem to say more or less the same thing - although the Evergreen one says it has fertilser in which I was unsure about as I had hoped to perhaps get an organic fertiliser such as the new 'safe lawn' which has seeds and fertiliser already together in pack, although wasn't sure how that packet would work with shaded areas that I need to put seed down on?

2.  Also with this cold snap forecast at the end of the week - 2 degrees overnight here at weekend in SE.  Should I wait another week before doing this?

Many thanks

• Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 934

Top dressing soil tends to be finer and without the 'bits n bobs' (stones etc) that you get in top soil. It is more expensive than top soil. 

Its better for top dressing as it finds its way down to the base of the grass easier.

Have a look at the lawnsmith website. Loads of information. Any depressions you want to fill that are greater than 1/2" deep you will be better off in peeling back the turf and filling underneath. If you put too greater a depth of soil on the top you will smother th existing grass.

As for temps I would get on and sow the seed as soon as you can. I wouldn't worry too much about a few cold nights. Yes they will hold back germination a little but they'll soon kick into action. Just make sure you keep the seeded area permanently moist for the first few weeks. Seed needs moisture. 

• CopperdogCopperdog Posts: 303

Hi Dave, thanks so much for your reply, I have already looked at the lawnsmith website - (agree it's very good) but I was under impression you had to make top dress yourself? i was hoping i could buy the product ready made to sprinkle on and then seed? is there a similar product I can buy at the GC? 

I use the Westland Lawn and Turf Dressing which is sold at our local GC. It does contain some peat.

Alternatively you can can mix your own 'formulation' to take into account your own lawn conditions and what you are trying to achieve I.e more sand content, less sand content etc etc. 

Hi Dave I couldn't get that top dress at our local GC so bought lawn soil and all purpose grass seed, have followed your advice and got it all down today. Just have sprinkler on it to bed it all in image

Oops meant to say thanks for your help' image image

No problem at all. Go quite easy with the sprinkler, preferably with a fine spray or you'll find you are forever dislodging the seed and it will not 'take' so quickly. In the current conditions you should expect to see small shoots appear in around two weeks. Good luck!