Forum home Plants

Tempting fate

sevbrownsevbrown Posts: 33

Need to confess.... I have just planted out my pot grown Dahlias

Forecast seems ok for the next two weeks with lows of 6, if i cover them with a bit of fleece on the colder nights do you think they will survive?

image  they are already looking a tad depressed

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 14,966

If the lowest temperature is really 6, then you will be fine, but there are sharp frosts predicted for much of the country.

Mine do not get planted out until early June. At the moment I don't actually have any shoots growing, from the pots in the greenhouse.

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • Bright starBright star Posts: 1,153

Mine are only just waking up in the cold frame. I would check what the overnight temperatures are going to be on a daily basis. You could always cover with some horticultural fleece if temps are going to be low.

Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,021

I think you're being a tad optimistic.  Have you taken cuttings as backup?  Just getting cold will check them and a bit of frost the night you forget to protect them will see them off.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Torg22Torg22 Posts: 302
    Obelixx says:

I think you're being a tad optimistic.  Have you taken cuttings as backup?  Just getting cold will check them and a bit of frost the night you forget to protect them will see them off.

See original post

I saw Monty take some dahlia cuttings the other day on Gardeners World but wasn't fully paying attention. Can you get flowers from a dahlia cutting in its first year? How many shoots come up on a regular dahlia tuber?

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,021

Watch it again on i-Player of search for info on the RHS site.  Cuttings should flower in their first year if treated right.  The number of shoots produced depends very much on the health and size/age of the tubers.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Bright starBright star Posts: 1,153

I believe so torg, I'm trying it for the first time this year. I've been watching YouTube videos about it and the gardeners that grow Dahlias for showing prefer the flowers from a cutting to an older tuber. You can get many shoots from a tuber but some say to limit the number of shoots to 5 to get a better display of flowers also pinching out the growing tips to promote a bushier plant. The tips you pinch out could be used as cuttings.

Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

• sevbrownsevbrown Posts: 33

Hi I no I realised as soon as they were in it may be a mistake but we live and learn I guess!

Have taken lots of cuttings which is one of the reasons they are out now, from three tubers planted last year I now have about 15 plants and my garden is tiny!  

So three big 'mother' tubers planted out and the rest growing on nicely tucked up in the cold greenhouse, fingers crossed the weather here stays pretty mild

• Mark56Mark56 Posts: 1,653

Have they been hardened off as well?!

• sevbrownsevbrown Posts: 33

Yes they have been going out everyday for the last few weeks and staying out on the nights I forget about them. I lifted them in feb and divided and put them in pots in my little plastic greenhouse and they all shot up.

I was a bit suprised as from what ive read it shouldnt have been warm enough. I suspect as my garden is walled and surrounded by houses it must have its own micro climate as things that shouldnt survive the winter always do.

• Where do you live, Sev?

To be honest if mine were that big I'd probably have them out, in part due to a lack of space in my greenhouse and because the chance of frost now is slim (I'm on the south coast).  I do, however, grow mine in pots so I can just bring them in if it looked like a frost was coming.  I would imagine you could get away with covering them over but, again, I'm basing that on the climate in the warmest part of the country.