Forum home Tools and techniques

Ride on mower help!!

Hi All

I picked up a secondhand ride on with the intention of fixing it up but have come across a stumbling block.  It is almost complete but I can't seem to find the correct drive belt for it.  Would anyone recognise the mower and know the model or what belt it needs.  The model number was long gone when I got it and other than the belt it is almost ready to use, my legs are getting very tired and it is frustrating having it sit there but not be able to use it.

Thanks

Tim

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 21,886

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer?  Or a lawnmower repair shop?

We have a Lazer and get it serviced by professionals every winter - oil change, engine and battery checks, belt checks, tyre checks and blade sharpening.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Hi Obelixx

Yes, I have tried the local repair shops and one of them has the existing belt to try and match it up with something, they have had it for a few weeks now though and it seems that nothing is happening at all!  I am going to go over and get it back off them this week if they have not found one and try someone else. 

I have also emailed the pictures over to MTD but have had no response at all.  I am now hoping I can find someone who has the same machine or has owned one who might be able to help me.

Thanks for your response

Tim

Maybe it's a standard size and you can find one on the net if you know its length.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thanks, that may well be my last resort. The problem is it has stretched so it no longer drives, just slips. Without knowing how much it's stretched it is a little bit of pot luck choosing a replacement. I was trying to avoid buying something that isn't suitable as they are not particularly cheap!

Tim 

Well, if your wife sews, maybe she has a flexible tape measure you could run round the belt's circuit?